Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Gift of Life


Yesterday was a very emotional day for us. I sat in the room as we waited for them to complete Jalen's procedure and a message came over the loud speaker about a Blood Drive. In that moment I thought I 'should' go. I have never given blood in my life. The one other time I considered it, I was a teenager and it ended poorly. I do not like needles, I dislike seeing or dealing with blood even less, but something in my spirit persuaded me to go. I got on the elevator, went downstairs and gave blood for the first time in my life. I was nervous and I was afraid. I didn't know what to expect and on two occasions almost talked myself out of it (Run Forrest Run). It was a very special moment. My son was recovering from donating his bone marrow for his sister, my daughter had just completed a platelet transfusion and the Drs' were contemplating a blood transfusion because her red cell count was also low. I went through with it because someone else made the very same decision and their blood and platelets have been keeping my daughter alive for the last several months.

What were the odds of a Blood Drive being held, in the hospital, on the very day my daughter is having a bone marrow transplant? I wanted to position myself to 'Pay It Forward' and help someone else in need. I sat in that chair with tears in my eyes, grateful and proud. A single donation can be used for a red cell, plasma or platelet transfusions and that one donation can help save up to three lives. I never understood the impact of donating until now and I would urge everyone to consider being a blood donor. The need is great. We've experienced it personally and I see it in the works every week in the Hemoc Clinic. What an awesome gift to give. Nothing happens by chance. Trust me, I tried to ignore the announcement/invitation to become a donor. Despite my apprehension, I felt compelled to do it. I definitely plan to do it again, possibly even coordinate a blood drive. Hmmm.... a 'Friends of Mireya and Team Bolton' Blood Drive? Together we can make the difference.

Psalms 118:17 I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done. Mireya will live and I believe she will continue to be a blessing and definitely be a 'living' testimony of God's love, mercy and power.

2 comments:

  1. I feel so privilege to be a friends of yours. I am continue to learn about being who God has call me to be through your strength and sacrifies in the mist of your challenges and adversity. Suzanne has been reading your blogs everyday and sharing them with me. Most times, she is in tears (my wife is not the crying baby of the family) but I know you know who is :0) I can't believe your strength in all these -but yet I should because I know your God. Quentin and I are bless with two amazing women. I am so bless to be your friends and I am glad that God has put you in my life to be an example to me the kind of woman I should marry. My God continue to allow you and your family a resting place in him.

    With all my heart -Yo' Boy
    Stew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Venus,
    I understand the force that compels you to WANT to "pay it forward". I not only gave blood for the first time when my son was in a battle for his life versus cancer (Glory to God--he won!); but began hosting blood drives and marrow donor drives. When you see the impact of unselfishness of others on the lives of loved ones, it's easy to be more selfless!

    Continuing in prayer for you and your family.

    Love you,
    Pastor Young

    ReplyDelete