Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cuatro Dias

Day Four at the hospital and this fever just won't let up. Reya cannot be released until she is fever free for at least 24 hours. Her fever continues to fluctuate between 99.0-103.6. The fever is at its lowest following a dose of Tylenol. She did have two cycles of vitals that had the fever at 99.0 without Tylenol, but within a few hours it was back up. Her counts have continued to decrease. The white cell count is critically low. Her platelet and hemoglobin counts are both borderline for transfusions. We are holding off unless either are absolutely necessary, which could be within the next day or so. Reya is getting two different antibiotics via her IV, a steroid as well as a new medication to prayerfully stabilize her white cell count. It takes approximately 2 days to see results with this new medication, so we may be here for at least that long.

Jalen and Makinley have been typed so we should have feedback on whether or not they are a donor match within 10 days. Overall Mireya is doing well. She continues to roll with the program with very little fuss. She saw her brother and sister today and it really lifted her spirits. Today was also Paris' Baccalaureate. We were fortunate to leave the hospital for a while while Grandma sat with Mireya so we could share in this special occasion with Paris. Four more days until Graduation. I don't know what this week holds but I'm praying Mireya will be out of here by then.

This is a very tiring process of sit and wait, hope and pray, but we know she is in the best place she can be. I finally decided to go home last night at the urging of my husband to rest and just refocus my mind. I was so tired I thought I'd surely go home and fall into a deep sleep. Physically I was depleted, but emotionally I was maxed out. I found it very difficult to rest thinking about Reya in the hospital, but eventually I was able to drift off to sleep for a little while. Very little prepares you for something like this. We are doing the best we can to stay strong, but also address the sorrow associated with having your precious little girl battling through something like this. Our faith keeps us sane, and allows us to remain positive against all odds. We believe it's going to be 'better than alright' in the end. Espero que tenemos salir el hospital de prisa...por favor. Dios puede hacerlo!

No comments:

Post a Comment