Thursday, August 6, 2009

Busted

Have you ever had those days where your body just won't cooperate? Kinks, knots and a variety of uncomfortableness in my neck, shoulder and back. An ankle that feels touched and a knee that continues to remind me that I need to work on strengthening my quad muscles. I've had this issue before, but the pain subsided within a short period of time. This time was different. Everything came to a screeching halt this past week. The pain was semi-debilitating and intolerable. An appointment and prescription later, it is determined that I am suffering from trapezius muscle strain and spasms. The trapezius muscle is the entire triangular muscle group from the base of the neck to the middle of the back. Not a good equation with 3 littles ones. Particularly one that is nursing and has to be held and supported by that muscle group. The doctor told me I need a lot of rest and to get into physical therapy asap the following morning. I chuckled at the get lots of rest part. I was sarcastically thinking 'when' will that happen. I can barely manage the little sleep I am getting.

I took the medicine and really didn't feel any better after a few hours. I took another one several hours later. When I woke up the next day I was in a fog. I could barely function. Thank goodness for my husband. He got the day started as I tried to get myself going. I was able to get a last minute appointment with the therapist. An hour of exercise, electro-therapy and heat really helped. I felt brand new...well at least better. They wanted me to commit to physical therapy twice a week and doing the regimen twice a day at home. We compromised at once a week. I have high hopes to maintain this, so I won't have be strongly coerced to the twice a week office visit. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment